Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Good God, not my eyes! Part 1

I wish I knew where to begin, perhaps the best place is my state of panic at the thought that I was drawing nearer to a state of blindness. While I know its a bit of a leap to go from dizziness, spots, and eye pain to "I'm going blind!" but the words of my eye doctor when I was in high school telling me that I may go blind later in life, led me into a panic. Not that I verbalized my concern, and I intelligently waited a couple days just so noone would catch on.

My patience was rewarded with a trip to a local surgeon. And, I knew I should have told someone, and I should have had someone drive me, because the lady did tell me to, but with reckless abandon I went alone.

So, after poking around my eyes, -- poking is too polite, she manhandled me, flipped the chair over and everything, then stuck this huge light in my eye and asked me to look around. All I could think of was, 'light hurt, light hurt...."

And even though I knew it was coming, I just stared blankly at her when she told me I needed surgery on both eyes ... something about holes in my retinas, retinal skesis, lattice degeneration, retinal tears, and a small retinal detachment.

I'd known for years it was going to happen because of my "severe myopia" but my mind drifted to isolating the latest strain that would have caused it all. I flipped started with declaring it to be looking at ancient Biblical texts in dim lights (it all started after we went to the musuem to see the Christianity exhibt the day before Easter). I knew I shouldn't have been scanning the texts for letters I recognized, or wait ... no, it was the pot roast and sundae (we went to lunch at the 59 diner... it was a Saturday, afterall).

After all that, she told me to have someone bring me next time and she'd do the surgery on my left eye first, possibly with a local, or maybe just a topical pain reliever.

No comments: